Journal Prices: Citing electronic media

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Tue Mar 1 13:42:38 EST 1994

In article <robison1.761925430 at husc10.harvard.edu>, robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu
(Keith Robison) says:

>No one will take E-journals seriously unless they are at least as
>controlled as the _average_ journal in a field.  Every E-journal which serves
>as another dumping ground for half-baked projects and poorly-reviewed
>works will simply delay the acceptance of this as a serious medium.

       Someone called Mendel dumped some "half-baked" projects in an obscure
European journal. This were discovered half a century later and were found
quite useful. Had modern electronic search methods been available, it is
possible that the discovery would have been sooner. I for one think it is
better to accept a multitude  of "half-baked" projects, so that the modern
Mendels can be heard. Afterall, the space problem is infinitely less than in
the paper literature where libraries are already groaning under the load.

>You understand correctly.  Mosaic certainly has all the elements
>required for be the front end to an electronic journal (there
>are actually a couple of bio-journals trying this route --
>see http://golgi.harvard.edu/journals.html), and is actually
>a lot better equipped for the job than the software supplied
>with the CD-ROM version of the ASM journals (IMO. of course).  The WWW server
>software also have the rudiments of what's needed (such as passwords
>and annotation capacity) for electronic reviewing of manuscripts,
>as well as the basic mechanisms to allow billing of readers (if so
>desired) or restriction to "members" (in the case of society journals).
>What is mainly needed is people willing to set-up, publish, and review
>in such a journal.

      That is my point. The "journals" already exist. The Bionet bulletin
boards can be used to deposit papers now! What is limiting is some easy way to
cite them in the paper and electronic literature.

             Sincerely, Don Forsdyke