UK Science Policy Bulletin

M Wright bu1mw at sunc.sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Nov 10 14:25:15 EST 1994

NEW E-MAIL BULLETIN ON RESEARCH POLICY IN THE UK

Hi, my name is William Bown and I'm the editor of Research Fortnight, a new
newsletter on research and technology policy in Britain and Europe. It is paper
newsletter sold by subscription. We are also making available free to the
community a fortnightly e-mail bulletin on policy - the RESEARCH FORTNIGHT
E-MAIL BULLETIN.

A few items from the e-mail bulletin are included here to give you a flavour of
the thing. If you would like to receive the e-mail bulletin, details on how to
subscribe to our LISTSERV facility by e-mail are included at the end of this
message.

If you have any comments, or would like further information, e-mail me at
bulletin at willbown.demon.ac.uk.

                                 *    *    *

SUMMARY OF RESEARCH FORTNIGHT E-MAIL BULLETIN

1. WHAT'S GOING ON: News digest.
2. COVER STORY: The independent adviser attached to the Efficiency Unit team
which reviewed 50 government laboratories has strongly criticised the
conclusions and conduct of the team.
3. INTERESTING IF TRUE: Gossip.
4. EDITORIAL: How come John Cadogan has not given a public interview for almost
a year.
5. FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES: In this issue, 22 new opportunites to acquire
research funding, most with deadlines between now and Christmas.

BLAIR PICKS 'MONK' AS LABOURS NEW SCIENCE SPOKESMAN
Labours new spokesman on science is John Battle, a respected and campaigning
Leeds MP (who once retreated to a silent Trappist monastery). Until the shadow
cabinet elections, he was a housing spokesman. He now works for Ann Taylor,
David Hunts shadow. Lewis Moonie, Battles predecessor, takes a strong
interest in technology with him to Labours DTI team.

MRES WILL BE FLEXIBLE AFTER ALL
The new postgraduate training qualification will not be compulsory.

DRAL TO STAND ALONE - NO CHANGE FOR USERS
The director of the Rutherford Appleton laboratory has promised users a
"seamless" change-over as the lab takes full control of its own finances for
the first time.

TURMOIL IN SWINDON
A cloud hangs over a number of the research councils in the form of the Budget
later this month. The Office of Science and Technology has put in a bid for
money to pay for the immediate costs of redundancies in the councils central
administrations. If the bid is successful, some of the councils which have just
reorganised (such as the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
may find themselves doing it all over again in the New Year. But Treasury
ministers may not pay up for redundancies if they do not think they can get
their money back in time to make tax cuts at the next election.

HUNT DUMPS MPS
Science debates dont happen very often in the House of Commons. It is
therefore highly encouraging that the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
treated the one last week with the requisite respect. David Hunt sent his
deputy Robert Hughes to answer all those tiresome questions instead.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
If you think you might be interested, here's how to subscribe. Send an e-mail
message to LISTSERV at RL.AC.UK with the following as the first line of the
message (not the subject line) SUB RES-FORT followed by your name. For example:

             SUB RES-FORT William Bown

Taking yourself off the list is just as easy and you will be sent instructions
when you join the list.

Looking forward to seeing you!

WILLIAM BOWN