Order of Authors

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Tue Nov 22 09:40:27 EST 1994

In article <3arcje$qpo at nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, enswartz at unixg.ubc.ca (Erik Nathan
Swartz) says:

>Just wondering what the generally accepted method is for deciding whose
>name goes before whose name when a paper is submitted for publication.  I
>realize that whoever wrote the bulk of the material should go first, but
>after that?

        Just not so. Usually the principle investigator's name goes LAST and
   he/she may very well have written most of the paper. As first author I
   generally place the name of the person who has been primarily responsible
   for the project and usually has done most of the work. The order after that
   follows the same principle. When in doubt toss a coin, but, obviously, make
   sure that all coauthors are fully consulted.
                                       Sincerely, Don Forsdyke
                                       Discussion Leader. Bionet.journals.note