Order of Authors

btitus at bud.nefc.forestry.ca btitus at bud.nefc.forestry.ca
Thu Nov 24 09:39:38 EST 1994

In article <3arcje$qpo at nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca> enswartz at unixg.ubc.ca (Erik Nathan Swartz) writes:
>From: enswartz at unixg.ubc.ca (Erik Nathan Swartz)
>Subject: Order of Authors
>Date: 22 Nov 1994 00:05:02 GMT

>Just wondering what the generally accepted method is for deciding whose
>name goes before whose name when a paper is submitted for publication.  I
>realize that whoever wrote the bulk of the material should go first, but
>after that?

>Erik Swartz
>Dept. of Pharmacology
>U.B.C.

See Schmidt, R.H. 1987. A worksheet for authorship of scientific
articles. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 68(1):8-10 (March
issue) for some guidance.  This suggest scoring and then ranking by several
categories, including: conception, design, data collection, data analysis, and
writing.  Their bibliography includes the following, which may also be of
interest:

Croll, R.P. 1984. The noncontributing author: an issue of credit and
responsibility. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 27:401-407

Dickson, J.D., R.N. Conner, and K.T. Adair. 1978. Guidelines for authorship of
scientific articles. Wildlife Society Bulleitn 6:260-261.

Jackson, C.I. and J.W. Prados. 1983. Honor in science. American Scientist
71:462-464.

Kennedy, D. 1985. On academic authorship. American Council of Learned
Societies, Office of Scholarly Communications and Technology, Scholarly
Communications Reprint 4:1-5.