Computing journal fro Biologists?

Dr Barbara Evans evansb at cf.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 03:40:32 EST 1995

I am writing this note on behalf of the editors of BINARY - COMPUTING IN
MICROBIOLOGY. This journal currently published in six parts per annum
covering all areas of microbiology, is considering broadening its scope
to include all of biology.

The only other journal in the market is CABIOS (Computer Applications in
the Biological Sciences) which covers most of the molecular
biology disciplines. This leaves a large gap in all the non-molecular
aspects of biology. Possible topics include taxonomy and systematics,
biodiversity, ecology and the environmental sciences, anatomy,
physiology, histology and topics which might overlap with certain
aspects of medicine. Also techniques, for example image processing,
process control and fermentation technology, the application of neural
networks and expert systems. In addition applications of computer
technology in electron and laser confocal microscopy. Statistical
analysis and the establishment and maintenance of databases. The aim is
to publish high quality refereed papers in these areas. We will also
publish reviews of sof and possibly of relevant hardware, a survey of
other relevant literature etc. etc.

What is especially important is feedback from other biologists and
suggestion for names who might be interested enough to serve on the
editorial board.

Julian Wimpenny
Editor in Chief

replies to me or to Dr J.B. Evans (sabjbe at Cardiff.ac.uk)