Thanks to anonymous reviewer

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Mon Oct 30 16:32:31 EST 1995

   Quite often in the Acknowledgements section of a paper one finds a note of
thanks to an anonymous reviewer. Sometimes I feel inclined to thank an anonym-
ous reviewer, but I do not do so because I prefer to name a real person. Such
an acknowledgement does not achieve very much unless the person is named.

   Personally, when I review a paper or grant application, I write at the
bottom of the review:...."Whenever possible, I prefer not to review anonymously
and therefore I identify myself as D.Forsdyke, Queen's University,  Canada".

   I feel sure that some of the people who have made, oh such contructive and
helpful comments on my manuscripts, are bound more by tradition and convention
than by the  thought that I would in someway "get at them" if their comments
were not to my liking. So let us break with tradition. Let us all begin to
identify ourselves in our reviews...and the we can take the credit in the
Acknowledgements sections if our reviews are useful.

                                Sincerely,

                                Don Forsdyke

                                Discussion Leader. Bionet.Journals.Note