Access to MEDLINE pre-1981?

Ruth Lewis ruth at
Tue Mar 25 17:13:18 EST 1997

Joe Felsenstein (joe at wrote:
: In article <E7Hw5A.C3r.B.midge at>,
: W R Bennett <bspwrb at> wrote:
: >Our university, as with many others, has a license to access MEDLINE and
: >SCI, but these databases only go as far back as 1981.  Anyone know if
: >there's a (free) gateway  which would allow me to on-line search for
: >abstracts as far back as 1970 in the life sciences?

There are lots of free Medline systems, some better than others of course.
The best right now in my opinion is part of NCBI Entrez system at
It goes back to 1966.

Medline has traditionally gone back to 1966.  NLM has recently announced a
backfile called OLDMEDLINE, which covers 1964-1965.  Your Medical Library
should be able to search it, but I haven't seen it available free.

Ruth Lewis, Biology Librarian             phone:(314)935-4819
Washington University, Campus Box 1061    email:ruth-lewis at
One Brookings Drive                       fax: (314) 935-4046
St. Louis, MO  63130-4899