Access to MEDLINE pre-1981?

Gary Malet gmalet at
Sun Mar 30 14:50:12 EST 1997

There are many ways to access Medline for free on the internet. After
significant frustration our group ranked the sites for ease of access and
search features.  A helpful, comprehensive analysis of the medline sites is

Internet Medline Comparison Table at Medical Matrix***
Ranks free and fee based medline services available on the Internet.
Includes access restrictions, dates covered, fees for document
delivery, navigation tools, and utilities for expanding searches to
medical concepts.

        Dr.Gary Malet, Medical Informatics Fellow, Family Physician
                    Oregon Health Sciences University
           3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, Oregon
                   gmalet at, (503)494-6734
                 Co Chair AMIA's Internet Working Group,
    "MEDICAL MATRIX"- Hypertext Internet Clinical Medicine Resources

Joe Felsenstein <joe at> wrote in article
<5h6ehr$pm8 at>...
> In article <E7Hw5A.C3r.B.midge at>,
> W R Bennett <bspwrb at> wrote:
> >Our university, as with many others, has a license to access MEDLINE and

> >SCI, but these databases only go as far back as 1981.  Anyone know if
> >there's a (free) gateway  which would allow me to on-line search for
> >abstracts as far back as 1970 in the life sciences?  (I realise it's not

> >very likely, but you never know...)
> Our University's MEDLINE subscription enables us to search back to 1966,
> which is I presume as far as Medline goes back.  So you could ask your
> library people whether they could either get University access to those
> years, as the databases do exist, or whether they could find some way for
> to do a search of them on a special-case basis.
> I wish Medline would put a small amount of money into gradually going
> further -- it would probably not cost much, as the size the biomedical
> literature shrinks as one goes back.  Furthermore, one does not have to
> "keep up" with that literature -- it's of finite size and isn't growing.
> It would be lovely to search back to 1900, or even 1850.
> I have set followups to bionet.journals.note which is appropriate for
> discussion.
> --
> Joe Felsenstein         joe at     (IP No.
>  Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Box 357360, Seattle, WA
98195-7360 USA