Double publishing? RECOMB'99

Donald Forsdyke forsdyke at
Sun Sep 13 11:21:12 EST 1998

Mart Speek wrote:
> Donald Forsdyke (forsdyke at wrote:
> : It is considered unethical to publish the same material in two
> : independent journals. Yet, we see the organizers of the:
> :                            (RECOMB'99)
> (stuff deleted)
> : An abstract must be received by October 9, 1998.
> : Simultaneous submission to another conference or journal is allowed.
> Perhaps the organizers have read your article about
> multiple journal submission,
> you have compared with book-publishing earlier
> (Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:19:16-0400) in this newsgroup.

> Could this be a reason why conference organizers/editors
> should deviate from publishing ethics?
> ...or, is there a shortage of conference participants?
> If so organizers should make them clearly more attractive,
> say, by allowing double publication. Isn't that GREAT...

  From the point of view of the INDIVIDUAL investigator it is GREAT.
Since it gives his/her work greater exposure. But if this principle is
applied generally the result is a vast expansion of the literature,
increased costs of journals, overflowing libraries, etc, etc. So from
the point of view of the GENERAL GOOD, multiple publishing of the same
material is NOT GREAT.

   In addition there is the issue of copyright. Can two independent
journals both claim copyright?

   Sincerely, Donald Forsdyke