MRC approval rate

Tue Feb 23 20:11:45 EST 1999

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Richard Gordon wrote:

> 338 of 1220 applications (including some for matching grants under Regional
> program) = 28%
> See: http://www.mrc.gc.ca/press/press.html
>
> Yours, -Dick

My main question (and actually the ONLY question)
about all this remains the same: why it is only
Dick Gordon (+ perhaps a tiny handful of others)
who seem to be expressing some critical feelings
about this (seemingly) deplorable split?

But is it deplorable? May it not be just deserved?

WHERE ARE ALL THIS  1220 - 338 = 882 (!) RESEARCHERS
WHO WERE DENIED  A-N-Y FUNDING (am I right?) in
this last "competition for excellence"?

They are silent. Their mouths are shut. Likely
permanently. Or yes, they keep their fig in the
pocket, but that's all they do, and likly ever will.

At least, I don't see (and have never seen)
any evidence of the contrary.

That's all they can do. And don't tell me they can
do any better, because we don't have a single
piece (even a tiny piece) that they can.

So, I don't believe that even being given money
this 882 (save, perhaps 4 or 5 "protesters") can
or will do anything good with this money.

MRC may be right, after all. This community does
not deserve any better deal.

Cheers - Alex