Public self-archiving

D. R. Forsdyke forsdyke at post.queensu.ca
Thu May 27 16:58:31 EST 1999

Hello Dr. Harnad,

       I agree entirely, that public-self archiving would solve many of
the problems referred to in the study. However, when copyright has
already been assigned to a publishing house (as a precondition of paper
journal publication), the publishing house may prefer to have its own
archive and refuse permission for self-archiving.

    How many contributors to Cell, for example, know that now the
journal has been taken over by Elsevier, they will no longer be given
free permission to publicly self-archive (as was the previous policy of
Cell Press)?

      This is unfortunate, since self-archiving allows the use of
colour, space and emphasis, which often is not possible in a paper
journal (and is too complex for the publishing house electronic
archivists to carry out). The work can then be much easier to
assimilate, even if downloaded to a paper version.

Sincerely, Donald Forsdyke. Discussion Leader. Bionet.journals.note