Open Archiving: What are researchers willing to do?

Frank Reilly freilly at mail.vt.edu
Wed Nov 17 11:10:14 EST 1999

This a pretty hot topic, and the changes are happenning as we speak.  But lets
remember some things about journal publishing.
1.) It does cost money to physically publish a journal article.  The referees
usually work for free, and many of the editors also do so.  But the typsetters,
printers, bean counters etc. are not in it for the glory of science.  They are in
it as a business.  This current controversey may change the life of the publishing
house - for the better or for the worse.
2.) In the "old days" we the writers (or our granting institution or department)
were forced to pay page charges to pay for the act of publishing.  That practice is
(gratefully) gone now.  The easing of the page charges is wonderful because it does
usher more science into the refereed journals.  However, these page charges must
still be made.  Now these page charges are subscription charges (or membership
dues).  In the "old days" when someone made copies of our paper it meant nothing to
the publisher, since they had already been paid.  Now the publisher must wonder
about the erosion of the need to buy journals.  If the materials will soon be
available gratis, why subscribe.  If we're not careful how we proceed from this
point on we may see the end of refereed literature.  No body wants that - Do they?
3.)  The Los Alamos example of open-publishing of the literature is not a good
example, and not what most writers are able to get away with.  Don't forget that
federal agencies (and Los Alamos still is one) will not allow copyright agreements
that restrict free and open dissemination of  their articles .
4.) Lastly, what is the difference between  "Pre-refereeing" and "not refereed?"  A
academic work has value because it has withstood the scrutiny of peers in the
discipline.  Citing literature in a subsequent study depends on the veracity of the
cited article.  The veracity depends on the refereeing process.  If you are posting
a paper on your personnal web site, AND your name is Stephan J Gould, than there is
not likely to be any problem.  If you are posting an article on your personnal web
site, and your name is Frank Reilly, then who is to know if the work is bogus or
not?

--
<x-rich><bold><italic>Frank Reilly

Extension Associate - Urban Nutrient Management

Virginia Cooperative Extension - King George County

P.O. Box 410

King George, VA 22485

Phone: 540-775-3062

Fax: 540-775-5645