Proposal for Collaboration with SPARC (fwd)

Stevan Harnad harnad at coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 17:05:01 EST 1999

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:32:13 -0600
From: "Paul M. Gherman" <Gherman at LIBRARY.Vanderbilt.edu>
To: Stevan Harnad <harnad at coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: rick at arl.org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Collaboration with Sparc

Instead of having faculty papers archived by web-savvy
students, I propose the library be responsible for this
effort. Students come and go, library staff stay around.

One of our faculty recently came to me to ask that the
library set up an advisory service for faculty on
electronic publishing. He says many publishers have
requirements for submission that many faculty simply do not
understand. If the library creates a submission advisory
service for faculty, we have a opportunity to educate them
about more than just submission standards. We can lobby for
archiving in an Open Archive at the same time. We will have
what they call a "learning moment".

Paul

ps. We are also thinking of setting up a permissions office
in the library to deal with rights management. Somehow the
two seem to go together. The more we can insinuate the
library into the publishing process, the greater chance we
stand of changing faculty behavior.

Paul M. Gherman
University Librarian
611B General Library