Free Online Access After One Year? (fwd)

Stevan Harnad harnad at cogito.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 27 04:13:39 EST 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:10:02 +0100
From: Richard Gordon <gordonr at Ms.UManitoba.CA>
To: SEPTEMBER98-FORUM at LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Free Online Access After One Year?

Dear Stevan,
I understand your arguments on making online access to the scientific
literature free. However, I'd like to suggest a compromise, which
some publishers might be willing to implement right away:

All online journal articles will become accessible for free at a
fixed interval after publication.

A reasonable interval might be one year. Few sales of printed
journals occur after a year, so only those people needing rapid
access (and not willing to do the work of writing for reprints or
accessing preprint depositories) would pay.

Yours, -Dick
ps: I don't have the instructions for posting this on bionet. maybe
you could do that for me?
--

Dr. Richard Gordon, Radiology
University of Manitoba, HSC Rm. GA216, 820 Sherbrook St.
phone:(204)789-3828, fax:(204)787-2080, e-mail: GordonR at ms.umanitoba.ca
New book: The Hierarchical Genome & Differentiation Waves: Novel
Unification of Development, Genetics & Evolution:
http://www.wspc.com.sg/books/lifesci/2755.html
Adjunct: Electrical & Computer Engineering, Exec Member: CSTB, CARRF,
IEEE-EMBS.