No subject

Leslie Carr lacATecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 29 05:40:15 EST 2002

At 15:57 26/07/2002 +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
>...what's the best way to get the institutions engaged?

You may be interested in the TARDIS project we are just starting up at
Southampton. Funded by JISC in the UK, its objective is to examine ways of
achieving cultural and institutional change in order to get academics
self-archiving.

Using a multidisciplinary institutional archive for Southampton University
as the focus, we are looking at various carrot-and-stick ideas to get
archives in general filled. Fronted by librarians calling on our technical
resources, we are looking at various forms of assisted self-archiving as
well as technical and administrative 'inducements'. Six departments across
the institution are being targetted; at one end of the spectrum we are
undertaking advocacy campaigns, at the other end we intend to simply sit
down with hundreds of individuals, help them fill out the eprints forms and
answer their questions.

Although our website isn't ready yet you can see the project details at
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lac/TARDIS/

Les Carr lac at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 594-479
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lac/