ePrint Repositories (fwd)

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 21:03:42 EST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:58:59 +0100
From: Peter Suber
To: SEPTEMBER98-FORUM at LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Re: ePrint Repositories

http://lists.openlib.org/pipermail/oai-eprints/
[Forwarding at the request of Eugenio Pelizzari.  --Peter Suber.]

Dear Prof. Suber,

I put on the web site of my library a paper on OAI: "Harvesting for
Disseminating" that will be published on the journal "The Acquisitions
Librarian" (in 2005!). I'd like your opinion. Could it be mentioned on the
various discussion lists on OAI/E-prints?

Many thanks.

Eugenio Pelizzari

http://www.bci.unibs.it/doc/Pelizzari-REVIEWED-harvesting%20for%20disseminating%20FINAL.doc

    ABSTRACT: The Scholarly communication system is in a critical stage,
    due to a number of factors.  The Open Access movement is perhaps the
    most interesting response that the scientific community has tried to
    give to this problem.  The paper examines strengths and weaknesses
    of the Open Access strategy in general and, more specifically, of
    the Open Archives Initiative, discussing experiences, criticisms and
    barriers. All authors that have faced the problems of implementing
    an OAI compliant e-print server agree that technical and practical
    problems are not the most difficult to overcome and that the real
    problem is the change in cultural attitude required.  In this
    scenario the university library is possibly the standard bearer for
    the advent and implementation of e-prints archives and Open Archives
    services. To ensure the successful implementation of this service
    the Library has a number of distinct roles to play.

Eugenio Camillo Pelizzari                       Tel. 030 2988345
Biblioteca Centrale Interfacoltà                Fax: 030 2988367
Università degli Studi di Brescia               mailto:pelizzar at eco.unibs.it
Via Porcellaga, 21
25121 BRESCIA

http://www.bci.unibs.it