Fwd: Central versus institutional self-archiving

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Aug 30 12:22:33 EST 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Heather Morrison wrote:

> hi Stevan,
>
> Is there any chance you might consider sending a strong, clear signal
> to the effect that you support the NIH proposal, just as it is?

Sure, here's a strong, clear signal:

I strongly support the House/NIH proposal to mandate the self-archiving of
NIH funded research.

I have suggested a small amendment that would make the proposal even
stronger and more effective (drop the PMC stipulation and just mandate
self-archiving). To (try to) amend is not to oppose but to (try to)
ameliorate. I hope that small amendment will be adopted, but even if it
is not, I strongly support the House/NIH proposal, as it is.