Berlin Declaration on Open Access

Stevan Harnad harnad at
Thu Dec 2 11:59:47 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Rabow Ingegerd wrote:

> The Swedish Association of Higher Education (SUHF) has decided to sign
> the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences
> and Humanities.

This, together with the simultaneous signing of the Buenos Aeres
Declaration -- --
is very good news.

But can we hope that having declared their support for the *abstract
principle* of Open Access, the Swedish and Latin American research
institutions will also demonstrate their support for the *concrete
practice* of Open Access Provision -- by going on to adopt an Open-Access
Provision Policy and describing it for others to emulate by signing
the Declaration of Institutional Commitment to Providing Open Access to
Institutional Research Output? (As will be seen from that list, rather
fewer institutions have actually adopted the practice than have endorsed
the principle!):

Stevan Harnad

A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at:
        To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
        Post discussion to:
    american-scientist-open-access-forum at

UNIVERSITIES: If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional
policy of providing Open Access to your own research article output,
please describe your policy at:

            journal whenever one exists.