Google's Scholarly Search Service and Institutional OA Self-Archiving

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 15 05:45:45 EST 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:59:52 +1100
From: Arthur Sale <ahjs at ozemail.com.au>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM at LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Re: Google's Scholarly Search Service and Institutional OA
    Self-Archiving

    Prior Amsci Topic Threads:

    "Self-Archiving Incentives: Download Impact Counts"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4085.html

We are seeing increased access rates to our Eprints repository through
Scholar Google, but even more interestingly, we are seeing visitors arrive
directly at the pdf full-text file, rather than at the metadata page as an
OAI-PMH harvesting search engine would be likely to do. There are advantages
and disadvantages to each approach of course; the metadata page is the one
with the persistent URL, and it has the upload date and a link to
statistics. This link takes you to a typical page showing  several visitors
who bypassed the metadata page
http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint;id=43;year=0;month=0;range=4w.

My analysis suggests that Scholar Google is finding the pdf files through
the Eprints browse pages, which eventually list every metadata html page.
>From thence it finds the pdf files and indexes them as well. Serendipitous
design by Eprints!

Arthur

Arthur Sale