Draft Policy for Self-Archiving University Research Output

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 1 00:23:38 EST 2004

Dear Prof. Rajashekar,

Congratulations on the IISc Eprints Archive!

Here are some replies to your queries:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Dr. T.B. Rajashekar wrote:

> We have also interfaced our archive with Greenstone
> digital library software to support full text searching (not supported by
> current version of eprint.org software).

It is supported in the next eprints.org release. Please contact Chris
Gutteridge for the date. (But note that full-text searching is far more
useful as a cross-archive service than a within-archive one.)

> However, self-archiving so far has been extremely sporadic - till today we
> have only about 70 papers submitted to the archive. I should admit that on
> our part, we have not promoted the archive vigorously (except for the
> initial announcement and a poster we brought out sometime back).
> We intend to go on a promotional drive and we are quite confident of
> convincing significant number of our researchers (if not all!) the benefits
> of self-archiving, through promotional seminars and individual contacts.

So far that is on a par with most other archives at institutions
that have not yet formulated an open-access provision policy. But
the further measures you describe sound promising. As a
potential model for your institutional policy, I recommend:

See also:

> 3. Track 'clicks' and downloads of papers from the archive and generate
> statistics in support of improved access and visibility.
> I believe eprints.org software does not support this feature. We have to
> find a way to do this - we consider this important.

Please contact Chris Gutteridge at eprints.org about this, but
also Tim Brody designer of citebase, an opcit/eprints sister
project, which does all of that as a cross-archive service:

> I welcome comments and suggestions about these plans and also other means of
> improving deposition and visibility of the archive content.

I suggest you also ask the eprints-underground and OAI-general lists for suggestions.

> There is another interesting issue. Some researchers in our institute (e.g.
> physics and chemistry) ask the question - why the need for archiving in
> institutional archive if they are already depositing in domain archives like
> arxiv? How do we address this?

Please see the Amsci threads:

    "Central vs. Distributed Archives"

    "Central versus institutional self-archiving"

In a nutshell, all OAI archives are equivalent, but institutional self-archiving
policy is more easily and systematically monitored if all research output is
self-archived in the institutional archive.

> I wish you and your colleagues a Very Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you too! It struck here just as I was replying to your message!

the American Scientist Open Access Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    Post discussion to: september98-forum at amsci-forum.amsci.org

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.