Free Access vs. Open Access

Stevan Harnad harnad at
Fri Jan 2 22:21:57 EST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> [H]ow do we determine if an article is "permanently" accessible?...
> I know but one way to guarantee permanent access, and that is to allow
> free copying and republishing.

Webwide toll-free copying, downloading, and storing of self-archived articles
is allowed.

Webwide harvesting and caching is unpreventable.

Republishing is unnecessary.

Negotiating republishing rights is hence a needless obstacle and deterrent.

Permanence is always just a matter of probability.

The primary preservation burden for the self-archived versions of toll-access
journal articles is on the primary toll-access version.

The full preservation burden is taken over only if and when the toll-access
journal converts to open-access.

The self-archived versions of physics articles from 1991, and their
respective enhanced impacts, are still alive and well today.

The versions non-archived out of perennity-qualms or failure to negotiate
republication rights -- and their respective enhanced impacts -- are not.

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
    american-scientist-open-access-forum at
        Hypermail Archive:

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.