DOAJ, OAIster and Romeo should chart growth, as EPrints does

Stevan Harnad harnad at
Fri Jan 30 07:56:15 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Andy Powell wrote:

> The ePrints UK project is now maintaining a snapshot of the state of the
> eprint archives and open access journals within UK academia (at least, all
> those that we know about and harvest from).
> The intention is to provide ongoing monthly snapshots of the number of
> known archives and a count of the number of records harvested from each.

This will be very useful. But it currently covers only 18 UK OA eprint
archives! Thanks to Tim Brody's wonderful new directory we know there
are already at least 130 eprints archives worldwide:
(There is a button so any archive the index has missed can add itself.)

And OAIster currently indexes
a total of 247 OA archives of all kinds.

The ePrints UK snapshots could be made still more useful and informative
if they were augmented to cover the full worldwide context of OA

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
    american-scientist-open-access-forum at
        Hypermail Archive:

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.