Guide for the Perplexed: Re: UK Select Committee Inquiry

Stevan Harnad harnad at
Mon Nov 8 12:10:07 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Ralph Martin wrote:

> Stevan
> Thanks for your excellent summary.
> On 8 Nov 2004, at 3:37 pm, Stevan Harnad wrote:
> > (3) The Committee's formal report in 2004 accordingly only recommended one
> > mandatory step and that was that all UK funded researchers should be required
> > by their funders to self-archive all their published journal articles on their
> > own institution's websites, thereby making them free for all users, worldwide.
> Can you summarise, for those of us who are short of time to read all
> the lengthy reports, how this was supposed to be squared up with the
> current arrangement which usually requires authors to sign a copyright
> transfer form, and that some (but not all publishers) do not allow
> republishing on the authors' own website (or his employers)?
> And what about work that is done outside a specifically funded grant?

Ninety-two percent of journals have already given their green light to all
their authors to self-archive. Of the remaining 8%, many will likewise agree
if asked, and all will have to agree if the author's research-funder and/or
employer mandates it.

That means 92% of unfunded research too, is already covered, and can
already be self-archived. The remaining 8% of unfunded research can
either go ahead and self-archive too (I recommend the Dutch "post and
tell" strategy, below), or wait until the worldwide groundswell from
the mandated and spontaneous OA growth reaches them too.
Stevan Harnad

A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at:
        To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
        Post discussion to:
    american-scientist-open-access-forum at

UNIVERSITIES: If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional
policy of providing Open Access to your own research article output,
please describe your policy at:

            journal whenever one exists.