NIH public-access policy finally released (fwd)

Stevan Harnad harnad at
Thu Feb 3 13:51:32 EST 2005

See also:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:47:28 -0500
From: Peter Suber <peters at>
To: SPARC Open Access Forum <SPARC-OAForum at>

The NIH has finally released the language of its public-access policy:

Policy on Enhancing Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from
NIH-Funded Research (February 2, 2005)

This is essentially the same version of the policy that I described as
weakened and watered down in yesterday's issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  I refer you there for my comments on the policy.

Peter Suber
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
peter.suber at