American Chemical Society broadens access to its articles

Stevan Harnad harnad at
Mon Mar 7 18:35:49 EST 2005

Ah me!

Back Access 12 months late is too little, too late to benefit research
access, usage or progress. This is just another untoward side-effect of
the flawed NIH Public Access Policy. NIH has now given ACS a pretext
for feeling civic-minded in not giving its green light to immediate

The cure for all this dithering will be institutional self-archiving
policies. It doesn't depend on publishers; it never did. It depends
entirely upon researchers, their institutions and their research funders.

    "Shulenburger on open access: so NEAR and yet so far"

    "Please Don't Copy-Cat Clone NIH-12 Non-OA Policy!"

    "Open Access vs. NIH Back Access and Nature's Back-Sliding"

Stevan Harnad