Research Coordinator Job in Athens

Scott Gold sgold at uga.cc.uga.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:20:15 EST 1997

Agricultural Research Coordinator 1.
Technical position available in Plant Pathology at the University of Georgia.
This is a perminant hard money position with benefits.  The starting
salary is between 24,329 and 26,761.

Agricultural Research Coordinator I, $24,329 annually, DEPARTMENT: Plant
Pathology,
QUALIFICATIONS: BS in Life Sciences req., MS pref., 3-5 yrs. related lab
exp. req. preferably w/
genetics & molecular biology, comp. skills.
Please send me an email at sgold at uga.cc.uga.edu with your qualifications.
I will then inform you how to apply.

Description of the work in our lab:
Our laboratory focuses on the genetics of fungal dimorphic growth. Fungal
dimorphism is the ability of a fungus to express two forms, 1) filamentous
growth or 2) budding growth, as in brewer's yeast. Our work focuses on a
fungus that attacks plants; however, dimorphism is also common in animal
and human pathogens and their dimorphic state is often correlated with the
ability to cause disease. We concentrate our effort on a pathogen of maize
called Ustilago maydis, the causal agent of corn smut disease. Corn smut
is one of the important model systems for the study of fungal-plant
disease interactions. U. maydis has a complex life cycle in which
dimorphism plays a central role in pathogenesis. In corn smut, the yeast
form cannot colonize the plant, but the filamentous phase is able to
infect and ramify throughout the host tissue. We have identified a number
of mutants which are affected in the ability of the fungus to grow in the
filamentous phase. At least some of these mutations dramatically affect
disease progression. We have now cloned several genes that control
filamentous growth and will further characterize their role in
morphological and disease development. This information will have wide
significance for understanding fungal growth and may provide new insights
into novel targets for plant disease control. The results will likely have
important implications for animal and human fungal diseases as well.
In addition to work on U. maydis we are also carrying out more applied
population genetic research currently with Rhizoctonia solani and
Sclerotinia sclerotiorum.  In this work we are collaborating with other
plant pathologists in the state.

We have an active and congenial well funded laboratory and Athens is a
superb place to work and live.

What follows includes a description of the work involved in the position.
1) General Nature:

Provide continuity and leadership to research program by performing
independent research involving molecular and applied studies of
plant-fungal pathogen interactions and supervision of and cooperation with
postdoctoral scientists, as well as graduate and undergraduate research
and laboratory assistants.  General tasks involve independent experimental
design, execution data analysis, searching and reading the literature,
writing manuscripts and cooperating in the writing of grant proposals.

2. Specific Duties:
Regular Duties:
65% of time
Independently conduct routine experiments in plant pathology and molecular
biology.  Performs complex multistep experimentation in which critical
analysis of each step is essential for final success.  Maintain detailed
laboratory notes to be regularly reported to supervisor.  Assist in
interpreting results and in planning future experiments.

20% of time
Oversee the general operation of the laboratory.  This includes: a)
keeping a current laboratory inventory and stock, b) supervising the
assignment of the various laboratory duties, c) maintaining chemical
radioisotope and equipment inventories, d) ensuring appropriate safety
procedures for handling and disposal of radioactive and hazardous
materials, e) maintaining fungal cultures and other sensitive reagents, h)
co-supervise and carry out newly established cooperative applied research
projects.
2% of time
Supervise hourly technical support personnel.
6% of time
Assist and supervise postdoctoral fellows and graduate and undergraduate

Periodic Duties:
4% of time
Writing manuscripts.  This work is self directed and will be the primary
responsibility of the in the incumbent in collaboration with the PI.
Attend formal and informal scientific meetings and present results.

Occasional Duties:
2% of time
Assisting with grant proposal preparation.
1% of time
Hire student laboratory assistants.

--
Scott E. Gold