Earless forage corn

W.F. Tracy wftracy at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 19 10:27:00 EST 1998

This is done quite simply by producing a hybrid using cytoplasmic male
sterility.  If the normal cytoplasm inbred parent (the pollinator) lacks
the appropriate fertility restorer alleles.  The hybrid will produce ear
shoots but no pollen and therefore no grain, effectively earless.

This system has been attempted commercially but has not been widely
used.  Probably because a large portion (approx. 50%?) of the digestible
carbohydrates in corn silage come from the grain portion.