carbohydrate analysis

Pierre Lejeune Pierre.Lejeune at ulg.ac.be
Thu Mar 5 09:33:19 EST 1998

Hi,

Recently I did some carbohydrate analysis in maize immature ears and in the
leaves subtending the ears. Soluble carbohydrates were quantified by HPLC
in methanolic extracts and turned ou to be mainly sucrose, as expected. For
reserve carbohydrates, I did an HCL hydrolysis of the pellets obtained
after centrifugation of the methanolic extracts. I analysed these
hydrolysed extracts by HPLC and was expecting that starch degradation would
yield only glucose. This was the case for the EAR extracts. Now, in the
hydrolysed LEAF extracts, I was quite surprised to find galactose and
fructose in the ratio of about 5/1, and absolutely no glucose.
Can someone explain that?  Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

Pierre LEJEUNE

Universite de LIEGE
Dept. Biologie Vegetale