Mini Ears of Corn

Phillip San Miguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 12 16:51:14 EST 1999

Carmie <carmilla at pil.net> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a source as to how their grown (office debate).  Are
> they regular ears of corn picked early, or some other kind of plant that
> resembles corn?
>
> Thanks
> Carmie

    Yes that is maize.  (Maize is also called "corn" in the United States but
"corn" often refers to other grains in other countries.)
    But whether it was picked early or not depends on what you are talking
about.  If you mean the small decorative ears of corn (dried)--those are
popcorn.  Even when fully mature, popcorn ears are smaller and have smaller
kernals than dent (feed) corn.  If you mean the type of corn where the whole
ear is in food or salads (often pickled) then those are immature (unfertilized)
ears of corn.
    (I added bionet.maize to the follow-ups in case I got something wrong.  I
hope I didn't, I was in a maize molecular genetics lab for 10 years...)
Phillip SanMiguel