Phenotype with AC or Mu gene knock outs

Stephen Dellaporta stephen.dellaporta at yale.edu
Fri Feb 19 12:50:39 EST 1999

The answer depends on how close you look.  At the gross phenotypic level
(seeds, seedlings, plants, etc.) the frequency of detectable recessive and
dominant mutations in ca. 10,000 independent transpositions of Ac is between
5-10%.  The problem is correcting this value for the frequency of mutations
that are Ac-induced.  That is, many of these mutations (over half) are not
caused by Ac but by some other means including Ds transpositions.
Nevertheless, the data does indicate that at least 9 out of 10 independent
Ac insertions lead to no detectable phenotype at the *gross phenotypic
level*.