Metadata in Biodiversity Research

snagarka at staff.uiuc.edu snagarka at staff.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 9 11:33:59 EST 1999

As indicated in the informatics section of the recent President's Committee of
Advisers on Science and
Technology (PCAST) report on biodiversity
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~bowker/nrc.pdf and in the recent NFAIS
conference on 'metadiversity', there are pressing issues in the field of
biodiversity informatics respecting the
creation of robust metadata standards.

As researchers in this area from the Graduate School of Library and
Information Science and the University Library, University of Illinois, we
have compiled a short questionnaire about your deployment of and opinions
about metadata standards in this field. We envisage writing a research paper
drawing on the questionnaire, which we will publish in a leading LIS journal
(for example the Journal of the American Society for Information Science). We
hope that this paper will make a useful contribution to this area.
Accordingly, we should like to ask you to visit this website:
http://bioinfo.ernet.in/~shubha/form.html and fill out the questionnaire.
Please use separate questionnaire for each database. We will share with you a
draft of our paper before publication for comments and will of course send
you a copy of the final product. Thank you very much in advance for your
time!

Yours Sincerely,
Geoffrey C. Bowker
Associate Professor