Pollen Germination

Peter A Peterson pap at iastate.edu
Thu Jul 15 16:38:00 EST 1999

Dave
	I refer you to a paper in MGG 1989 219:324-327. Dr. Pan used
the Saini and Dube cited method (MAYDICA	 31:227) and you can
see from figure 3 that there was good germination. P

At 05:07 PM 7/15/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear maize netters,
>
>I'm trying to germinate maize pollen in vitro for RNA extraction.
>Unfortunately, the majority of pollen burst within minutes of
>application to the media. I'm using 300mg/L CaCl, 100mg/L Boric acid
>with sucrose levels between 10 and 40 percent and either liquid or
>solid (0.7 percent agarose) media. I would be grateful for any
>suggestions on how I may overcome this problem,
>
>Regards,
>
>Dave
>Dave Edwards PhD
>IACR-Long Ashton
>Bristol
>BS41 9AF, UK
>email.	Dave.Edwards at bbsrc.ac.uk
>WWW.	http://www.maize.bbsrc.ac.uk/mutator/dave_edwards.html

---------
Peter A. Peterson
Agronomy Department
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011
OFFICE: [515] 294-9652
FAX: [515] 294-2299
pap at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pap/homepage.html

Please examine this website for a book on Maize Genetics and Breeding
in the 20th Century
http://www.worldscientific.com/books/lifesci/3285.html