Corn as insulation?

Freddie Lamm flamm at oz.oznet.ksu.edu
Mon Nov 15 15:46:24 EST 1999

BLUMOONCCC at aol.com said:
Does anyone have information, or could lead me to information, about using
corn as insulation?  My college-aged daughter has to write a paper on this
and is not having much luck.  Any help is appreciated.

Freddie replied:
Perhaps, you mean by insulation, packaging peanuts which are
sometimes made out of corn starch.  In that case,  you may need
to refine your reference search.  I am not aware of using those type
of starch products for heating/cooling insulation, but I really
wouldn't know.

On a humorous note, one of the historical buildings at the Kansas
state history museum in Topeka, Kansas has whole ears of corn in
the wall for heating/cooling insulation.  Supposedly that was not an
uncommon practice dury the previous century.

Freddie
*
*    o   Freddie Lamm   **It's all downhill from here.
*** /|\   Research Agricultural Engineer
*****\\    KSU Northwest Research-Extension Center
*******     105 Experiment Farm Road
*********      Colby, Kansas USA 67701-1697
***********     Phone:785-462-6281 FAX: 785-462-2315