Translucent kernel syndrome

Robert Nielsen rnielsen at
Tue Sep 14 11:47:39 EST 1999

An interesting phenomenon has been reported throughout the eastern Corn Belt
of the U.S. in recent weeks that has no obvious diagnosis.  I would like to
hear ideas from the Maize news group about possible causes for what I am
calling, for lack of better descriptions, the Translucent Kernel Syndrome.
I've described the phenomenon in a recent newsletter article published on
the Web at

Two possibilities have been raised as to causes: 1) parthenocarpy and 2) a
defective kernel mutant.

I am also interested in whether others have seen or are seeing this symptom.

Dr. R.L. (Bob) Nielsen
Professor of Agronomy
Agronomy Department/Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1150

Office ph. 765 494 4802
Dept. FAX 765 496 2926
Campus Email: rnielsen at
Home Email: nielsen at

Check out the Corn Growers Guidebook at...