Translucent kernel syndrome

Peter A Peterson pap at
Tue Sep 14 16:28:56 EST 1999

For starters , Bob, I have the following question:
	Do these kernels have viable embryos.?
	And, is it a general phenomena from different seed corn companies?
	Then, I could consider options. PAP

At 11:15 AM 9/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>An interesting phenomenon has been reported throughout the eastern Corn Belt
>of the U.S. in recent weeks that has no obvious diagnosis.  I would like to
>hear ideas from the Maize news group about possible causes for what I am
>calling, for lack of better descriptions, the Translucent Kernel Syndrome.
>I've described the phenomenon in a recent newsletter article published on
>the Web at
>Two possibilities have been raised as to causes: 1) parthenocarpy and 2) a
>defective kernel mutant.
>I am also interested in whether others have seen or are seeing this symptom.
>Dr. R.L. (Bob) Nielsen
>Professor of Agronomy
>Agronomy Department/Purdue University
>West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1150
>Office ph. 765 494 4802
>Dept. FAX 765 496 2926
>Campus Email: rnielsen at
>Home Email: nielsen at
>Check out the Corn Growers Guidebook at...

Peter A. Peterson
Agronomy Department
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011
OFFICE: [515] 294-9652
FAX: [515] 294-2299
pap at

Please examine this website for a book on Maize Genetics and Breeding in
the 20th Century