Translucent kernel syndrome

Martha G James mgjames at
Thu Sep 16 18:14:08 EST 1999

Very interesting phenomenon.  I, too, was wondering if the translucent
kernels have a viable embryo.  Also,  were there any common chemical
applications to these fields - and if so, was there a component that could
serve as a mimic of a plant hormone?
-Martha James

>An interesting phenomenon has been reported throughout the eastern Corn Belt
>of the U.S. in recent weeks that has no obvious diagnosis.  I would like to
>hear ideas from the Maize news group about possible causes for what I am
>calling, for lack of better descriptions, the Translucent Kernel Syndrome.
>I've described the phenomenon in a recent newsletter article published on
>the Web at
>Two possibilities have been raised as to causes: 1) parthenocarpy and 2) a
>defective kernel mutant.
>I am also interested in whether others have seen or are seeing this symptom.
>Dr. R.L. (Bob) Nielsen
>Professor of Agronomy
>Agronomy Department/Purdue University
>West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1150
>Office ph. 765 494 4802
>Dept. FAX 765 496 2926
>Campus Email: rnielsen at
>Home Email: nielsen at
>Check out the Corn Growers Guidebook at...

Dr. Martha G. James
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology
2152 Molecular Biology Building
Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011
Phone: (515) 294-3818
FAX: (515) 294-0453