number of grains

Chris Carson carson at teosinte.agron.missouri.edu
Tue Aug 8 09:25:01 EST 2000

Dear Ute and other interested Maize bionet people,
This is a somewhat delayed response, but I thought that I should add the
following internet solution to the problem of number of grains per ear
and kernel row number:

>>From Mon 24 Jul 2000, Ute Platzer wrote:  "I'm interested whether
there are data about how many grains are on a maize ear, and how many
rows of grain are there? Is anything "officially" known about these
numbers? It seems that there are always 16 rows around... "...

Try the database for the National Plant Germplasm System:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/

Click on SearchGRIN, then choose >Research Crops and
Descriptor/Evaluation Data Queries<.

 From here you can explore; but, for example, choose >MAIZE  Query on
multiple descriptors.

On this form you can find the descriptor selections for many traits,
such as KERNEL ROW NUMBER.

This maize collection is massive, and the database is very useful.

Thanks for asking!!

Chris Carson