Question on Corn?????

David J. Gerrick dayton at
Wed Aug 9 12:48:44 EST 2000

An inquiring mind wants to know? I'm putting together a lecture for
my economic botany class on grains. I see corn sometimes listed as
Gramineae and at others Poaceae. What's the concensus? Was there some
profound discovery in cytogenetics which prompted Gramineae to be
changed to Poaceae. Is this change true of all true grains say
millets, rye, wheat. What I need is a good simple explanation for
students or a citation to the pertinent literature. I'm a chemist, so
ain't too smart!

David J. Gerrick - Natural Products Chemist
Dayton Tech
Lorain OH 44055