Drying procedures and moisture determination for immature corn kernels

flamm at oznet.ksu.edu flamm at oznet.ksu.edu
Fri Aug 18 11:54:47 EST 2000

Can anyone provide me with an accepted up-to-date method for
determining moisture content for immature to mature corn kernels. I
currently dry them to about 6-10% to help with shelling off the cob,
but then I still am a little concerned about getting an accurate
moisture determination with dielectric type meters.

Are there any good microwave methods?? I worry about drymatter loss
with regular drying ovens and the Brown-Duval Oil method seems to be
alot of extra work.

Freddie
*

    o   Freddie Lamm   **It's all downhill from here.
* /|\   Research Agricultural Engineer
***\\    KSU Northwest Research-Extension Center
*****     105 Experiment Farm Road
*******      Colby, Kansas USA 67701-1697
*********     Phone:785-462-6281 FAX: 785-462-2315
***********    E-Mail: flamm at oznet.ksu.edu
*************   SDI Website: http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/sdi/
***************  General Irrigation Website:http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/irrigate
THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ, THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ.