[Fwd: Red Corn]

Phil Stinard pstinard at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:14:11 EST 2000

My experience with purple corn plants is that after cutting back ear
shoots, my hands are stained purple, so I imagine that when the cells
are disrupted, the purple pigments (anthocyanins) exude.  I believe
that the anthocyanins are stored in the vacuoles, so the sap per se
is not purple.  I think you will only get the purple pigment exuding
when cells are broken.  A plant physiologist would be able to tell
you for sure.