The Society Name Change

Natasha Raikhel nraikhel at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Mar 6 17:08:21 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

A few months ago, ASPP created a page called "Comments on the Society
Name Change" on its website (<http://aspp.org) and invited people to
express  their opinions of whether or not the name of American
Society of Plant  Physiologists should be changed to American Society
of Plant Biologists. A  few people expressed their views, but only a
few. I was the one who  suggested this change, so I was asked by the
ASPP Executive Committee to  motivate people to express their views.

Whether you are currently an ASPP member or not, it would be very
nice if  you would find a minute to express your view. I am appealing
especially to  young professors, postdocs, and graduate students. A
strong and active Society with a name that identifies its activities
is essential  for our discipline to be successful and prosper. This
is necessary for our  presentations before the U.S. Congress, for
publication of our journals, and for establishing our (changing)
identity. It is my personal opinion that it is very important for our
Society to involve the community of young scientists who are making
important discoveries in plant science to be active participants of
our  Society and its decisions. However, I would also like to
emphasize that  this participation is not only necessary for the
Society itself, but it is  also crucial for the young generation as
well. It is a two-way street.

Just changing the name will not change the substance of the  Society.
On the other hand, changing the name and giving the society  broader
appeal reflects what we really are today and may attract a larger
share of the younger generation. I urge you to take a minute of your
valuable time and express  your views on the ASPP web page. If the
majority of people do not think  that it is a good idea to change the
name, then it will probably not be put on the ballot. If the majority
think that this change reflects the reality that the fields of plant
biology that we cover extend much beyond plant physiology, then this
question will be put on the ballot, to be decided by vote of the
membership.

  Sincerely yours,
  Natasha Raikhel

Natasha Raikhel