Silking times

Rouse, Jim RouseJ at mycogen.com
Thu Mar 9 17:47:41 EST 2000

Planting times will have an effect.  I feed beetles lots of silks every
year.    We'll harvest ears at an early stage, when silks are very long, but
still green.  They'll keep well in a refrigerator for a couple weeks, or
longer if you don't care about a little mold on the husks.  We'll have
husking days, where we remove the husks and separate silks from the ears.
The silks keep quite well in tupperware in the fridge (as do the milk and
blister stage ears, if you want those).

Give yourself an advantage by using several different planting dates of the
same maturity corn, or a couple planting dates with blocks of corn of
different maturities.  I've used both methods successfully.  A suggested
pattern would be planting a block of 100-day corn on May 1, May 15, May 30,
and June 1.

Jim Rouse

Mycogen Seeds
301 Campus Drive