corn growin' problems

Virginia Walbot walbot at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 13 19:13:58 EST 2000

You need about 4X more light and optimal growth temperature is 30
Day/25 night (seedlings) and higher is OK after 4 weeks.  Make sure
there is some blue/UV=A in the chamber to get normal growth (not just
white light)

  At 11:13 PM 3/13/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to grow corn in our Arabidopsis plant room (24hr light, 22oC)
>and it's looking very strange.  The plants are 8wks old and have about 4
>leaves that have unfurled, but the subsequent leaves are refusing to
>unfurl.  These unfurled leaves are started to turn dark brown and are
>dying.  I have fertilized them.
>
>Would anybody be able to tell me what's going on?  Is it due to the low
>temperature?  Can I save them?
>
>As you can guess, I have next to no experience what-so-ever growning
>corn, and I'm working in an Arabidopsis lab, so if anyone could give me
>some general tips I would REALLY appreciate it.  I'll be planting out in
>the field in spring.
>
>Thanks very much,
>Jennifer
>
>---

Virginia Walbot
Department of Biological Sciences MC5020
385 Serra Mall
Stanford University
Stanford CA   94305-5020

Phone  650-723-2227   FAX  650-725-8221