"haba" beans in mexico

Bert Kreitlow kreitlow at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 21 14:32:47 EST 2001

Dear maize botanists:

I realize this type of plant is off the topic of this newsgroup, but I have
the feeling that many of the list participants are well-versed in Mexican
agriculture in general as well as maize in particular. I subscribe not
because I am a botanist, but because I am also interested in maize and
Mexico from a historical perspective.

Without the botanical background, I am at a loss as to how to identify the
genus and species of another plant that is intercropped with maize. The
common spanish word is "haba" and it looks like a lima bean. The Stakman,
Mangelsdorf book about Mexican ag. development stated that it is not a true
bean, but did not provide the genus and species.

Either the genus & species, or the name of a book that catalogs such plants
by their common spanish name, would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Bert Kreitlow
Ph.D. candidate
Dept. of History
Univ. of Iowa