Collecting Open Pollinated Corn Varieties

Doug Terrell dterrell at
Thu Feb 22 22:07:16 EST 2001

Mr. Smith,

There are two sources available, both will only supply limited number
of kernals ( 100 - 200 ) and require that you maintain the
seed/variety from there.

1) The National Plant Germplasm System, they are on the web at:

2) Seed Savers Exchange, Decorah, Ia

Both sources have advantages and disadvantages. NPGS is geared
towards research, but will work with collectors. SSE is a network of
small-scale growers and collectors, each Spring they publish a
Listing ( not a Catalog) of growers who have seed available to
exchange, in turn they like for the recepient to list the seed in
later years. SSE charges a Membership fee.

Of the two varieties you list; Iodent as an Open Pollented variety is
believed to be extinct. Iowa State, a few years ago released BS30,
which is a synthetic recreation of Iodent from Iodent derived
Inbreds. Several strains of Midland are available from both NPGS and

I can help you with the Midland, I have a few pounds of one strain available.

Doug Terrell
Washington, IN