Some questions relating to CMS maize

muhua long muhua.long at ipw.agrl.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 21 08:37:01 EST 2001

Dear Madam and Sir,

Currently I am doing a little work relating to cytoplasmic male sterile
maize. Would you like to provide some official information for my following
questions. Thanks  in advance!

i) Is it popular to use some lines with male sterile cytoplasm in breeding
program in USA and Europe now? If so, how many percentage of commercial
seeds are with CMS-T, CMS-S, and CMS-C cytoplasm? How are they used?

ii) Who knows whether there is differences in the number of ovules (or
generated kernels) between male sterile and isogenic fertile maize in
inbred or hybrid level?

Best wishes for your work!

Sincerely yours,

Muhua Long