Quote of L. Burbank (?)

Peggy Lemaux lemauxpg at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jun 18 22:28:09 EST 2002

To all,

I am sorry to bother you with this but I am writing with regard to a
dilemma I've encountered.  We received the message below from someone in
France writing an editorial for a new international journal, and they
would like to quote the following which has been attributed by some
to Luther Burbank:

"We have recently advanced our knowledge of genetics to the point
where we can manipulate life in a way never intended by nature.  We
must proceed with the utmost caution in the application of this new
found knowledge."

Luther Burbank in 1906

This individual needs to get a citation for this quote, and my assistant
and I have searched everywhere online and found nothing. She even called
the Luther Burbank Association in Santa Rosa and they don't have any
information on it.  They did say that the quote may have come from one of
Burbank's colleagues, Hugo DeVries. Upon further searching, we found a
document online that states that the quote came from a critic of Burbank,
not Burbank himself. Would anyone happen to have any idea where this quote
came from? This person needs to know ASAP so any leads you can give us
would be helpful.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

Peggy

Peggy G. Lemaux, Ph.D.
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

email: lemauxpg at nature.berkeley.edu

>On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Mark Tepfer wrote:
>
>>   Dear Peggy,
>>
>>   Truth be told, it's quite urgent, since we (the co-Editors-in-Chief
>>   of a new international journal, Environmental Biosafety Research)
>>   would like to use the quote in the lead editorial of the first issue
>>   of the journal. We've just sent all the other mss to the publisher,
>>   and so the edito is the only element missing. If we don't have the
>>   additional info, we can of course delete the quote, but I really find
>>   it quite illuminating. So I would greatly appreciate it if you could
>>   find someone else who might be able to track down the quote. Sorry to
>>   be asking for this at the last moment, but putting the first issue of
>>   EBR together has turned out to be even more complex than I'd thought,
>>   and so tracking down the last bits and pieces has been done in a huge
>>   rush.
>>
>>   Thanks for your help in any case.
>>
>>   yours,
>>
>>   Mark
>>   > >
>>   > > Mark Tepfer
>>   > > Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire
>>   > > INRA-Versailles
>>   > > 78026 Versailles cedex
>>   > > France
>>   > >
>>   > > Tel: +33 1 30 83 30 29
>>   > > Fax: +33 1 30 83 30 99
>>   > >
>>   > > Lab:
>>   > > http://www-biocel.versailles.inra.fr
>>   > >
>>   > > EC-funded research project, VRTP-IMPACT:
>>   > > http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/research/quality-of-life/gmo/01-plants/0
>>   > > 1-10-project.html
>>   > >
>   > > > Editor-in-Chief of Environmental Biosafety Research
>>   > >	e-mail: ebr at versailles.inra.fr

---

--- end forwarded text