First release of the Plant Structure Ontology

Katica Ilic katica at acoma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jul 23 01:20:08 EST 2004

First release of the Plant Structure Ontology

We are very pleased to announce the first release of the Plant Structure
Ontology - a set of controlled vocabulary terms describing the anatomy and
morphology of a 'generic' flowering plant. This ontology is the first step
in our effort to integrate species-specific vocabulary terms into unified
flowering-plant ontologies to describe structure and developmental stages
of rice, maize, Arabidopsis and other angiosperms. We hope that the Plant
Ontology will become a useful tool for efficient description of gene
expression patterns and phenotypes in model plants and agronomically
important crop species.

Our goal is to actively involve plant researchers, breeders, and
systematists in development and application of plant vocabularies. Should
you wish to become more involved with the project (and you are very much
encouraged to do so!), our contact information is available at the POC web
site (http://www.plantontology.org).

Best regards,

Plant Ontology Consortium

E-mail: po at plantontology.org

Katica Ilic             		katica at acoma.stanford.edu
The Arabidopsis Information Resource 	Tel: (650) 325-1521 ext. 253
Carnegie Institution of Washington 	FAX: (650) 325-6857
Department of Plant Biology 		URL: http://arabidopsis.org/
260 Panama St.
Stanford, CA 94305
U.S.A.