[Maize] Re: Growth Chambers

Lockhart, Lawrence L [AGRON] via maize%40net.bio.net (by llockhar from iastate.edu)
Tue Feb 20 16:12:47 EST 2007

Jane,

I have used Percivals for about 15 years. My experience is much like
yours. They are a decent chamber but do have problems with occasional
break downs. I recently purchased two small Convirons. Although they
have been operating for only two months, I am impressed with the
degree of control, relative ease of programming, and the lighting
system. The lights are mounted on the exterior of the chamber so the
lamps are easy to change and the moisture inside the chamber will not
cause corrosion of the fixtures. Cost is a consideration when
deciding between the two. I can purchase 4x space with the Percival
units. My hope is the extra I spent on the Convirons will be recouped
by a longer lifespan with less maintenance cost.

Larry L. Lockhart

Program Manager

USDA-ARS North Central Regional
Plant Introduction Station