[Maize] PhD student position available in Switzerland

Uta Paszkowski via maize%40net.bio.net (by Uta.Paszkowski from unil.ch)
Fri Feb 1 11:33:36 EST 2008

Hi,

Below please find an advert for an open PhD student position in my lab. I am
looking for a motivated, technically skilled and socially competent student
to join the lab on a maize-symbiosis diversity project.

Please contact me electronically or see my at the maize meeting in
Washington

UTA

PhD thesis

GENETIC TRAITS DETERMINING MYCORRHIZAL RESPONSIVENESS IN MAIZE

The mutually beneficial arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) symbiosis occurs between
the majority of

terrestrial plants and Glomeromycotan fungi. AM fungi enhance the phosphate
and nitrogen

nutrition of their hosts and receive carbohydrates in return. Plants vary in
their responsiveness

to AM colonization. In a novel genetic screen we intend to address traits
related to functionality

of the symbiosis by examining a collection of genetically diverse maize
lines for their

responsiveness to mycorrhizal colonization (1, 2) . We will concentrate on
genotypes displaying

high responsiveness to the AM symbiosis in the absence of dependence (3).
Discovery of the

molecular mechanisms determining mycorrhizal responsiveness is the aim of
the project. The

work will include QTL and association mapping combined with molecular
investigation of allele

diversity of selected genes.

The position is available immediately.

Our laboratory is located in the Department of Plant Molecular Biology at
the University of

Lausanne, which provides an international and exciting scientific
environment. A background in

molecular biology, genetics and statistics is desirable. Knowledge in plant
biology is of

advantage.

Lab language: ENGLISH,  University language: FRENCH

Cited references

1. Flint-Garcia, S.A., Thuillet, A.C., Yu, J., Pressoir, G., Romero, S.M.,
Mitchell, S.E., Doebley, J., Kresovich, S., Goodman, M.M., and Buckler, E.S.
(2005). Maize association population: a high-resolution platform for
quantitative trait locus dissection.

2. Buckler, E.S., Gaut, B.S., and McMullen, M.D. (2006). Molecular and
functional diversity of maize. Curr Opin Plant Biol 9, 172-176 Plant J. 44,
1054-1064

3. Sawers R, Gutjahr C, Paszkowski U (2008) Cereal mycorrhiza: an ancient
symbiosis in modern agriculture? Trends Plant Sci in press

Applications should be sent by email to:

Uta Paszkowski

University of Lausanne,

Department of Plant Molecular Biology

CH-1015 Lausanne

Switzerland

uta.paszkowski from unil.ch

Uta Paszkowski
Université de Lausanne

Department de Biologie Moléculaire végétale

Biophore, 4403

CH-1015 Lausanne

Suisse

off:   ++41-21-692 4210